Sustainability is not just about being ‘green’. It’s also about the general health of our tourism sector and the businesses that operate within it. To improve your business sustainability think about:
- Cutting costs by reducing energy and fuel use
- Streamlining your resources, becoming more efficient and ‘greener’ at the same time
- Using local suppliers e.g. Scottish food and drink producers
- Using technology to help you work smarter
- Collaborating with local businesses to create new visitor experiences or products
There are a number of resources available to the tourism sector to support you:
- ZeroWaste Scotland can support your business to reduce your energy consumption and to explore how the circular economy could help you reduce costs
- VisitScotland have prepared a range of factsheets on topics such as Energy Efficiency, Water Usage and Reducing/Recycling
- Circular Edinburgh has produced a range of Top Tips for tourism businesses
For cycling tourism there is also a Leisure Cycling Tourism Opportunity Guide that can give you really great hints and tips on how to engage with visitors who are cycling as part of their travel.
VisitScotland has prepared a range of guides on Responsible Tourism actions which are simple and cost little or nothing, that your business can benefit from quickly.
The ETAG Wheel was created in partnership with Scottish Enterprise to provide Edinburgh’s tourism sector with a quick and easy way to access the support available in areas such as resource and energy efficiency, staff and customer engagement and green tourism. Give it a twirl!
Flash is required to view this content