- Use refillable soap and shampoo dispensers and eco-friendly cleaning products.
- Install LED lighting where possible
- Partner with third sector organisations to donate old bedding, towels, uniforms, furniture so they can be reused or repurposed – locally where possible
- Donate your computer and IT equipment to the Edinburgh Remakery charity in Leith Walk
- Repair/refurbish furniture and where items do need to be replaced, buy pre-used items instead of new
- Remove single use plastic products such as cups, straws and plastic bottles – and other single use products such as wipes where possible
- Encourage guests to have rooms cleaned/towels changed less often
- Use local suppliers where possible
- Reduce your food waste and save money: See Zero Waste Scotland’s Ultimate guide to reducing food waste here
- Do you have signage around the place? For example ‘switch off’ and ‘what can be recycled’ notices?
- Check energy/water/fuel consumption in your business at least monthly (either from a smart meter or physical checks)
- Use aerated shower heads/taps
- Are most of your toilets dual flush?
- Reduce your use of chemicals (maybe through microfibre cloths or natural products)
- Recycle cardboard, paper, glass and encourage your suppliers to reuse containers.
Top Tips to lower your carbon footprint
- Sign up to the Edinburgh Climate Compact
The Edinburgh climate compact is a commitment made by businesses and organisations in Edinburgh to take action to help significantly reduce the city’s carbon emissions and contribute to a green recovery. It outlines clear action areas for businesses to focus on and commit to and provides a network of support for members.
Measuring and reporting on your emissions creates a baseline to work from and helps provide stakeholders and customers with an update on progress.
- Set and commit to a target
Committing to a target will help drive and deliver change and show your commitment to stakeholders.
- Reduce emissions
Focus on looking at areas to reduce your emissions first. These are emissions that are directly related to the business.
- Work with your supply chain
See if you can help your supply chain reduce their emissions as this will help reduce the businesses’ overall carbon footprint.