Scotland has a target to reach Net Zero by 2045 but Edinburgh has gone further and is aiming to do this by 2030. We need to act now to protect what we love and reach net zero emissions.
So what is Net Zero? Net Zero is also known as net zero emissions. It refers to the balance between the amount of greenhouse gases produced and the amount removed from the atmosphere. We reach net zero when the amount we add to the atmosphere is no more than the amount we store and capture.
- Net Zero Edinburgh is the city’s really helpful resource and campaign centre, with a handy checklist of how to start your net-zero transition and listings for training events.
- The Net Zero Toolkit developed by Edinburgh Science Festival is really useful and free. It will guide you through eight comprehensive and meaningful steps, prompting you to commit to measurable and achievable targets. You may want to sign up to their Newsletter.
5 top things to start your Net Zero transition here.
- The Edinburgh Climate Commission is an independent group working together to accelerate climate action and impact in Edinburgh. The Commission was launched in February 2020 and aims to:
- Identify and address the challenges critical to Edinburgh meeting its climate targets
- Provide independent, expert and authoritative advice to support the city’s transition to net zero emissions by 2030
- Catalyse action, challenge the city’s decision makers and convene stakeholders
- Act as a forum where organisations can exchange ideas, research findings, information and best practice on carbon reduction and climate resilience.
Edinburgh Climate Commission runs the Edinburgh Climate Compact – a commitment by the leading businesses and employers in Edinburgh to take action within their own organisation to contribute to a green recovery and radically reduce the city’s carbon emissions.
Looking more broadly:
- Let’s Do Net Zero – Find out what’s happening in Scotland to create a cleaner, healthier, happier and more successful nation. Support the national Let’s Do Net Zero campaign and access a wide variety of resources.
- Scottish Enterprise have developed a free online Net Zero Accelerator tool that can help your business work towards a Net Zero future using practical, inclusive and data-led solutions.
- UK Business Climate Hub – is the UK Government’s resource aimed at encouraging businesses of all sizes to commit to do their bit to cut carbon emissions and protect the planet. Some great tips and a short list of ideas fine-tuned for the hospitality sector.
- Race to Zero – a global campaign led by the UN to rally leadership and support from businesses, cities, regions, investors for a healthy, resilient, zero carbon recovery that prevents future threats, creates decent jobs, and unlocks inclusive, sustainable growth.
The objective is to build momentum around the shift to a decarbonized economy ahead of COP26, where governments must strengthen their contributions to the Paris Agreement. This sends governments a resounding signal that business, cities, regions and investors are united in meeting the Paris goals and creating a more inclusive and resilient economy.